Les mesures-étalons placées à l'entrée de l'abbatiale et dessinées par Philippe Buache vers 1740. © BNF / Cabinet des Estampes.

For all transactions, merchants were required to use units of capacity, length and weight specific to Saint-Denis. The abbey held the standard measures; the Cochet or "griffon's claw", the unit measure for wine sold in the town's taverns was kept in the treasury, and at the entrance to the basilica there was a table with five recipients for measuring quantities of grain, salt and woad, as well as a unit of measurement set in the wall. The large and small weights were kept in the covered markets.