From the very beginning of its history, the town has served as an administrative and territorial center.
During Roman times the town was a central command for a large territory ; under the Ottoman Empire it was the seat of the "Caza" ; in modern times the town has been the seat of the "Plasa" and the "Raion".
In the last decades the town's architecture has undergone a great number of changes. The buildings from the 19th century and the beginning of the 20th century have been, for the most part, demolished.
The historical monuments of Hârvosa include a Mosque built in 1812, an Orthodox church dedicated to Constantine and Helen built in the beginning of the 20th century, as well as many ancient homes and gardens..
Turkish Mosque, built in 1812.
Church of Constantine and Helen, built at the beginning of 20th cent.
Ancient Private Home at 7 Strada Soarelui.