Although much smaller than the Saint-Michel tumulus, Moustoir tumulus is 85m long, 35m wide and 5m high.

It was one of the monuments excavated by R. Galles, in 1863, and was studied again and consolidated by Z. Le Rouzic. Both tumuli have a similar structure: a nucleus of stones encircles two major burial-chambers (covered in corbelling) and a vast hearth. A "mud layer" covered with "soil" envelops the structure, plus a small dolmen located at the western end. Stones cover the top of the tumulus. A small menhir stands at the eastern end of the tumulus, another a few meters before the western end and a third about one hundred meters further north. The artefacts found inside are less spectacular than in the Saint-Michel tumulus.

  • The main artefact was a large terra cotta "pot" adorned with four buttons, found near animal bones in the large central hearth.
  • A "hatchet-pendant", a kind of serpentine whistle and a variscite disc bead were found in the tombs.
  • The dolmen was re-used during the Chalcolithic as the beautiful blond flint blades and ceramic sherds - amongst them a bell beaker- attest.
Next slide
Previous slide

Axial section of Le Moustoir drawn by R. Galles.

Map of the dolmenic chamber situated west of the tumulus and of the sealed burial chamber in the centre of the monument. 

The Crucuny tumulus is an oblong mound 35m long, 23m wide and 3m high. As in Le Moustoir, a menhir stands on top. The monument had been excavated at some time in the past, with unknown results, but Le Rouzic and Péquart studied the monument again in 1922.
Amongst the structures he excavated were: to the west, a small megalithic chamber open to the north and, in the centre, a central rocky core comprising a rather indistinct set of cists that contained human remains. It is acknowledged that the structure was also disturbed during the Gallo-Roman period.

Le Manio V belongs to a set of five mounds. Unlike the others in the group, it is overlapped by the eastern part of the Kermario alignments.

In 1922, the excavations carried out by Le Rouzic and Péquart revealed a trapezoidal stone-walled enclosure (35m in length, a width of 16m on its eastern side and 11m on its western side). It contained two burial-chambers and a series of blockings that could have maintained wooden superstructures.

A 4m high menhir stands right on the north-east side of the easternmost burial-chamber. Its base was concealed in the ground, and five snake-like carvings had been preserved on it. Each seems to have been related to a polished stone axe head found in the fossil soil at the base of the menhir. The rest of the artefacts - essentially ceramics - dated from the Middle Neolithic. For the most part, they were found outside the enclosure and may have been offerings

Overview of the Manio V mound stepped over by the alignments. Its large eastern menhir stands out from the group.