The other wreck, Natière 2, was also preserved on its starboard side, from the keel to the second deck, for a length of 36 metres. The construction of its oak framework has been dated dendrochronologically to 1746/47. It also contained a wide variety of objects, including rigging, wooden tools, cook- and tableware, personal objects, items from the apothecary, weapons, etc.
Cast-iron ingots from America
The centre of the wreck is taken up by a concreted mass of cast-iron ingots, some of which are stamped with the date 1746 or 1747, and the names POTUXENT or Stepn Onion. These inscriptions allow us to identify them as belonging to two American foundries that were located south of Baltimore, Maryland. Both were specialised in producing iron ballast bars for ships, English ones in particular, which were bound for Europe with their holds filled with Virginia tobacco.
Identifying the wreck
Archaeological research combined with archival research allowed researchers to identify Natière 2 as the 400-tonne frigate L’Aimable Grenot, lost on 6 May 1749. It was built in Granville in 1747, and then fitted out as a privateer until 1748. Upon completion, it was assigned to the Spanish trade route; when it sank, it was fitted out "for the voyage to Cadiz, loaded with canvas and other goods".