Current excavations conducted under the direction of Pascal Butterlin since 2005, fall into several distinct parts:
- the continued publication of written documents based on excavations carried out since 1994, under the direction of Pr Antoine Cavigneaux (University of Geneva);
- 2005-2010: archaeological field research, under the direction of Professor Pascal Butterlin (University of Paris I Panthéon-Sorbonne); on-site preventive and interventive conservation, and the resumption and development of tourism, under the direction of Jean-Claude Margueron and Mahmoud Bendakir. It should be noted that the last excavation campaign on the site took place in 2010 ;
- 2012-2016: various projects have been implemented as part of efforts to protect and promote Syrian heritage.
Current research project
- A digital reconstruction of the palace in Mari led by Jean-Claude Margueron and Béatrice Müller in partnership with Archéovision in Bordeaux.
- The "Digimari" project, led by Pascal Butterlin, which is processing the archives of the archaeological mission in Mari and making them easier to use and access
- The "Monuments d'Orient" project, led by Régis Vallet, which aims to model selected emblematic monuments in the Near East, in particular the Massif Rouge and the Great Royal Palace of Mari.