In 1855, the architect Eugène Millet was appointed to lead the restoration of the château of Saint-Germain-en-Laye and the installation of the musée gallo-romain.
A pupil of Viollet-le-Duc...
A pupil of Eugène Viollet-le-Duc at the École des Beaux-Arts, architect Eugène Millet became deputy of the school’s department for historic monuments in 1847. In 1848, he was appointed diocesan architect for buildings in Troyes and Châlons-en-Champagne, before joining the Commission nationale des Monuments historiques, for which he worked on the restoration of a number of churches.
... and a restorer and scenographer
After having persuaded the Commission des Monuments historiques to demolish the pavilions of the château of Saint-Germain-en-Laye built by Jules Hardouin-Mansart, Eugène Millet began restoration work on the building in 1862. In 1865, he became involved in the museography of the rooms of the musée gallo-romain. He created specific fittings adapted for the display of archaeological objects and casts. On his death, in 1879, he was succeeded by the architect Joseph-Auguste Lafollye. The restoration work begun by Millet was completed by Honoré Daumet in 1907.