The inauguration of the musée gallo-romain, as seen in the <em>Univers illustré</em>, 29 May 1867


On 12 May 1867, Napoleon III took the train to Saint-Germain-en-Laye to officially open the musée gallo-romain. He was accompanied by Count de Nieuwerkerke, superintendent of the Beaux-Arts; Alexandre Bertrand, the newly-appointed museum director; and Félicien de Saulcy, president of the Commission de Topographie des Gaules and a renowned numismatist. Morland’s engraving shows the emperor in room 1, dedicated to the earliest periods of prehistory. We can see the Megaloceros and the museum furnishings created by Eugène Millet.

MAN ©MAN/Valorie Gô

MAN ©MAN/Valorie Gô

Vist the site : Aux sources de l'Archéologie nationale