The Dictionnaire archéologique de la Gaule was a work begun by the Commission de la Topographie des Gaules. The CTG’s significant contribution was to have drawn up the first archaeological map of Gaul during a period of intense discovery.
The first volume appeared in 1875. In 1894, Émile Cartailhac took over the project. In 1919, three new volumes were published covering the letters G to L. From 1921 Salomon Reinach, Camille Jullian and Émile Esperandieu oversaw the dictionary’s completion. The final volume was published in 1924.