Cilaos hot springs

Cilaos hot springs
11444

Print by L. A. Roussin, 1847.

The road to Cilaos was improved in the second half of the 19th century, reducing travel times for spa tourists previously unwilling to make the three-day journey from Saint-Denis. The first plans of the village were made between 1836 and 1854; the spa resort was little more than a collection of straw and wooden huts inhabited by the Petits-Blancs.

© Iconothèque historique de l'océan Indien, Département de La Réunion, rights reserved (unknown authors and beneficiaries)

© Iconothèque historique de l'océan Indien, Département de La Réunion, rights reserved (unknown authors and beneficiaries)

Source

Vist the site : Archaeology in the Indian Ocean