Erected by the Mamluk Sultan Qaitbay (ruled 1468-1496), this minaret, also known as al-Meskiya, rests on one of the corner towers of the ancient temenos enclosure. Located at the west corner of the prayer hall, it replaced an earlier minaret tower which burnt down in 1479.
Author: Keppel Archibald Cameron Creswell. Date photograph taken : unknown
Creswell Archive, Ashmolean Museum, neg. EA.CA.5462. Image courtesy of Fine Arts Library, Harvard College Library
Creswell Archive, Ashmolean Museum, neg. EA.CA.5462. Image courtesy of Fine Arts Library, Harvard College Library
Vist the site : The Great Umayyad Mosque in Damascus